Monday 5 September 2016

Primary One Registration - Tips, Advice & Experience


Assalamualaikum (Peace be Upon You) World!

I've been AWOL for awhile. Life has been and is hectic at the moment. Starting work after my No Pay Leave, my school, educating my daughter and Primary one (P1) registration stress and on top of it all, Eid celebrations that felt like it was never going to end. 


Today’s blog is a little bit different and special as it only applies to people in Singapore who have kids going to government or government-aided schools here. I want to share my experience with all of you who have kids age 4 to 5 year old. YES! Its not too early for mental prep. I would also share my first-hand experience in applying Primary one for my kid. Yes she is 6 years old this year and is embarking on a new journey to a Primary School.

Just a brief intro, I am not one of those kiasu parents, or those who will push their child to study hard or really cares a lot about which school he/she will attend. I personally think that all schools are the same, but it’s the value that makes a difference. So either you as a parent instil the values in your child or send your child to a school that will influence her values and behaviour. Afterall, they spend most of their time in school anyway. I did fine, not great, in a neighbourhood school, finished my studies w/o playing truant or getting cane by the principal or discipline headmaster (thumbs up for me).

I’ve heard of parents volunteering at a school to get a position for the child. I wasn’t sure of the process. Honestly, I didn’t know a lot of the things. The only thing I knew was that, if you already have a child in the school, the siblings will get priority going to the same school above every other applicants.


Things that I will be sharing with you next are what I found out during the application period (Yes, I am that slow).


There are 3 phases to Primary one registration. The following are listed according to Priority:

Phase 1

For a child who has a sibling studying in the primary school of choice.

Phase 2A (1)
a.   For a child whose parent is a former student of the primary school and who has joined the alumni association as a member not later than 30 June 2015.
b.     For a child whose parent is a member of the School Advisory / Management.

Phase 2A (2)


a.   For a child whose parent or sibling has studied in the primary school of choice.
b.   For a child whose parent is a staff member of the primary school of choice.

Phase 2B


a.   For a child whose parent has joined the primary school as a parent volunteer not later than 1 July         2015 and has given at least 40 hours of voluntary service to the school by 30 June 2016.
b.   For a child whose parent is a member endorsed by the church / clan directly connected with the           primary school.
c.   For a child whose parent is endorsed as an active community leader.

Phase 2C (This is my phase!)

For all children who are eligible for Primary One in the following year and are not yet registered in a primary school.

Phase 2C (Supplementary)


For a child who is not yet registered in a primary school after Phase 2C.


Phase 3


For a child who is neither a Singapore Citizen nor a Singapore Permanent Resident.


You may read more about the registration process and Phases at Ministry of Education (MOE) website: 

https://www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/primary-one-registration/phases 

Personal Tips from my Primary One registration experience


I did not have the afflicted schools in mind as I was not from one and thought that it was impossible to get into one. I thought that there would be some IQ test for my child to go through or expensive school fees for those afflicted ones.


Tip No. 1: Ask your child which school he/she wants to go to (they may surprise you)

Boy was I wrong. This came as a surprise. Knowing that I am in phase 2C, I know my chances of getting into a school was slim and that distance of the school plays an important priority when you apply for one. The nearer you are, the higher the chances of getting into the school. So me and my husband didn't ask my daughter which school she wanted to go to and had our mind set for the nearest school in our area, which was also a quite popular school among the schools available in my area. 
We were just talking to her and told her that she will be going to a Primary One, when she then asked, "Can I go to a Girls' School Umi?" Stunned.


We then looked at the various Girls' school we can send her to. None is in the vicinity of my house. I checked with my colleagues whose children went to such schools. They told me, can just apply and to go for it. Just have to hope that my daughter is lucky enough to get in.


I kept asking myself if I should take the risk? What if she didn't get in and I couldn't find a vacancy in a school nearby my house? I didn't do any volunteering or anything.


I took a leap of faith and just went to the school and applied during the start of the P1 registration (if you don't have the time, you can also apply online using your SingPass). I had a good feel about it. It felt right. The results were updated timely on the MOE website including the number of applicant and vacancies available for each Phase. I keep on tracking the numbers, if it was a 50% chance I will apply at the school. Otherwise, I will not take the risk.


Tip No. 2: Do volunteering if the school of your choice is popular


It was a extremely stressful moment, as my daughter kept saying that she will be excited to go to a girls' school. Her hopes were high. I felt bad that I didn't take the initiative to ask her earlier and do volunteering, which has a better chance of getting into the school. But we took the risk when we saw that there was a 50% chance of getting in after Phase 2B.


Tip No.3: Distance Matters


The places available was 103 after the Phase 2B out of 270 places. When Phase 2C was over, there were 37 applications over the quota. Meaning there were 140 applicants but only 103 places. Priority was given to those 

  • staying within 1km, 
  • then 2km, 
  • and after the balance will be for those who stay more than 2km from the school. 
As I was live more than 2km away from the school, we had to ballot for a spot. There were only 33 spots available after they gave priorities to those living nearby. Each potential student was given a number and there were pingpong balls with the numbers on it. It was like a Bingo game, they will spin and a ball will come out each time. It was stressful, as my daughter almost cried when her number didn't appear when it was almost halfway through. Although I kept mentally preparing her that it is OK if we didn't get in, there are many other school she can go to. Alhamdulillah (Praises to God) we got a spot at no.15! 

So parents, if you want to get into a affiliated school, it is POSSIBLE. You don't have to be affiliated in any way. Chances are higher with affiliation and volunteering. 


I hope that my experience that I share was useful. And start volunteering if you have some school in mind (even some neighbourhood schools are popular!). Remember you must volunteer at least 1 year before the application starts (usually 1 July) and a total of 40 hours of service!


Good Luck! 


xoxo

Ain
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig